And the winner of this week’s (oh, and due to internet difficulties-the previous week’s) Green Button Farm recipe challenge is…..”que drum roll”………JENNIFER MCMURRAY for her Beet Salad and DEXTER MEATH for her Sautéed Kale with Kohlrabi. You both will receive a free package of Green Button Farm Country Sausage – a value of $7. Prizes will vary on a weekly basis. If you are new to our CSA, please check out the contest info at the end of this post. Don’t forget to send in this week’s recipes! We love experimenting with food!
The recipes are below:
Beet, Beans and Potato Salad
- 2 c dried cannellini or great northern beans, soaked overnight or quick soaked or 1 can rinsed cannellini or great northern beans
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 c extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 c red wine vinegar
- 4 large red beets, boiled or roasted, peeled and cubed
- 10 fingerling potatoes or 4 large red potatoes, boiled in their skin and cut into bite-sized pieces
Drain the soaked beans and place them in a clean pot with fresh water to cover. Bring slowly to a simmer, and cook until the beans are tender, about 30-60 min. Drain and while still warm combine in a large bowl with the onion, oil, vinegar, beets and potatoes. Season with salt and pepper. (I used can great northern beans and used your beets and potatoes)
It is amazing the color you get when cooking with beets. The picture doesn’t do it justice. Hot pink!
Sautéed Kale with Kohlrabi
- 1 1/4 pound kohlrabi, bulbs peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 pounds kale (2 bunches), stems and center ribs discarded
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup salted roasted pistachios, chopped
Equipment: an adjustable-blade slicer
Very thinly slice kohlrabi with slicer.
Whisk together lime zest and juice, 2 tablespoons oil, and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper in a large bowl. Toss kohlrabi with dressing.
Finely chop kale. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Sauté garlic until pale golden, about 30 seconds. Add kale by the handful, turning and stirring with tongs and adding more kale as volume in skillet reduces. When all of kale is wilted, sauté with 1/2 teaspoon salt until just tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cool to room temperature. 3Toss kale with kohlrabi and pistachios.